In my Master Gardener Intern Class on propagation held on March 7, I acquired a rose, a Red Cascade.
I brought it home and set it outside in a protected shady spot. The instructions were to leave it in the “greenhouse” until September, occasionally checking on it to see if it needed added moisture. By mid-April, the leaves were touching the sides of the pop bottle “greenhouse,” so I removed it. It still sat outside in a shaded spot, protected from the wind. Occasionally I’d add some water to the soil.
In May it had a blossom and I put it into a bigger container. I also left it in the shady spot.
In early June I set it out where it would get more sunshine and was no longer protected from the wind. This week I moved it into the fairy garden and set up the trellis behind it to climb on.
I feel like a Rose Whisperer!
Several weeks ago I posted about my houseplant that had mealybugs. I was especially concerned about treating the African violets, as they do not like their leaves being wet and I had to really soak the plant with Neem oil spray. Well, the worst offender – the one with the most evidence of mealybugs – is beginning to bloom! I guess it is happy.
It really needs dividing and repotting. I had the best African violet pots in Arizona but I have not been able to find similar here, and I’ve not been happy with what I can find. I’ve been reading a lot about African violet care and propagation and have actually had success starting new plants from leaves, both in planting medium and rooting in water. It’s so exciting!
A selfie from class a couple of weeks ago, complete with mardis gras beads.
This week’s Master Gardener class was plant propagation. We had fun playing in the dirt (soil), planting seedlings and divisions and cuttings. I came home with four pots of plants, three of which are pictured below and one with rose cuttings. Most everything looks like it will survive, although I’m dubious the lamb’s ear seedling will make it.