Tag: Granny Hexagon afghan (page 1 of 2)

Granny Hexagon Afghan Completed!

This has to be one of the quickest large projects I’ve ever completed. On August 24th I received a huge box of yarn from my mother (see picture at Granny Hexagon Afghan Progress). By the very next day I had picked out the design and project and was madly crocheting granny hexagons. Less than eight weeks and 290 granny hexagons later, my new bedspread was done.

Granny Hexagon Afghan

Granny Hexagon Afghan

Forthe border, I did two rounds of double crochet (one right side, the second on the backside so it wouldn’t curl as much) in the light periwinkle that was used to join all the hexagons together. At the corners I increased and decreased the double crochet stitches as needed. For the last row I did a single crochet once around in the darker blue.

I absolutely love it!

We have begun using it at night already, since temperatures are dropping down into the 40s and I don’t kick the heat on until after we get up.

Oh, and I still have a huge amount of yarn left, mostly of variegated delft tile, but also small amounts of the white, yellow, blue, periwinkle and light periwinkle.

box of leftover yarn

More than enough for another fairly large project! But not today … today I am working on repairing an afghan I made for Kat many years ago. And then I have two baby blankets to get finished this before December.

Credit for the Granny Hexagon pattern I used goes to Petals to Picots, along with the Join As You Go method for joining all 290 hexagons!

And much love and thanks goes to my mother for sending me the yarn! That was the nicest surprise I have had in a very long time.

Just a Moment – Sixteen

Friday ritual inspired by other blogs. A single photo from this past week…. few no words…. just a moment captured in time. If you feel inspired to share…. leave a link in the comments with your moment.

Granny Hexagon Afghan

Finished! A more complete post will appear on Monday.

How to Finish the Granny Hexagon Afghan?

I completed the granny hexagons and have them all joined. Instead of the original 266, I actually needed 290! My calculations were either a bit off or (more likely) I decided the afghan/bedspread needed to be slightly larger.

granny hexagon afghan

Now I need to figure out how to make an edging, or even if I will make an edging. I don’t really like the look of it with the uneven edges.

granny hexagons

The original intent was to go around at least two times with the same color that was used to join the hexagons. The unevenness of the hexagons makes that plan a bit problematic. I have already tried a couple of ideas and did not like how they looked. Stay tuned for the end result! I am determined to finish this project; setting it aside to deal with the edging later is not an option.

« Older posts