I started my next crochet project – a table runner for my brother Roger & his new wife Nancy. I let them choose the pattern from my Crochet Doilies & Tablecloths Pinterest board.
They chose this Rectangular Table Runner.
Amazingly enough, after hunting online for a pattern, I discovered that it was from a Magic Crochet magazine, which I subscribed to for several years back when I was newly married. Even more amazing, I have the pattern!
Next, I had to find crochet thread and the correct size hook. The pattern calls for size 40 thread and a size 12 hook, but I could only find size 30 thread. I made some test swatches for sizing, using an 8 hook and a 10 hook, which I had on hand. Both of those hooks made a swatch that was too large. So I dug around in a stash of hooks packed away that I’ve never used and found at 12! Using the 12, I made a new test swatch and it is much closer to the size the pattern indicated it should make. It will still be slightly larger, but that’s not a big issue. And quite honestly, I don’t think I could work with a hook that was any smaller.
I’m a little worried that my hand is going to cramp by using such a small hook. I have some other hooks that have special cushioned grips, but I’ve not seen any that were this small. I may have to try to fashion something on my own. But I’ve really excited about starting a new project!
One thing that has remained constant is that I am still crocheting. I don’t have as much time as I used to for crocheting, but I still always have a project in the works and several in mind. Here are some of the projects that I’ve done over the past year.
I made several hats, scarves, and purses for Miss Wiggles and Miss Munchkin.
Miss Wiggles really likes hats and purses!
Miss Wiggles with new hat and purse
In April I began working on a wedding gift for my niece, Chelsea. She requested a table runner with an apple theme (not easy to find!). I finished crocheting this in August, and got it blocked and starched in September, just in time to take to NY for the wedding.
This runner was just under 5 feet long.
Here’s a close-up of one end, about 1/3 of the total.
Lately, since finishing the wedding project, I’ve been making pot holders and more hats for Miss Wiggles.
Some of these were wedding gifts while others I gave away to family in NY.
And more hats, because Miss Wiggles washed her hat one too many times and needed a new one!
The top two are for Miss Wiggles and the bottom two are for her younger cousin. These hats are so much fun to make. I’m going to make a few to try to sell for Christmas gifts.
And then I will have to get working on my brother’s wedding gift. Roger and his new wife Nancy also requested a table runner. I have the pattern; I just need to spend some time with a couple of different threads to see which is going to work up best. I’ll post my progress on that when I finally get it started.
I should be writing this morning (I am way behind in NaNoWriMo due to traveling earlier this month), but I have had this blog post on my mind far too long and it is time to get it down on paper and posted so you all can see it!
Last summer I was on a crochet thread kick and made this Winter Garden Runner for a homeschooling friend in Missouri. And then I made a variation of it for myself in slightly different colors. This looks great in our new guest bedroom on top of the black dresser with a couple of Santas on it, which you can see in the first picture on my Decluttering Progress post from late August.
Since I was on a roll, I decided to make another large runner for my cousin Roberta for her birthday. Unfortunately, by the time I thought of it, her birthday was looming large. But I had the project underway by then and finally finished it in late September.
First I sent Roberta several possible patterns and then asked for color and size guidance, since she knew where she wanted to use the runner. The pattern she chose was beautiful, but unfortunately I was unable to figure out a crucial stitch – although now I think I know how it should go, after working on this project, which turned out to have a similar stitch!
In the end, I chose something a bit different that I thought Roberta would like and that I felt would be fun to work up. I took an afghan pattern, Dierdra, from Crochet Celtic Afghans
Here are pictures of the Dierdra Afghan from the Crochet Celtic Afghans book (designed by Dot Drake):
and adapted it to make it into a runner of the proper size.
And then I began crocheting! 33 leaf layers (green), 33 flower centers (17 white, 16 burgundy), and 33 flower petal layers (16 white, 17 burgundy).
Next step is to intertwine all the layers.
Color combination one:
Color combination two:
The two color combinations interwoven.
Now that all the layers are interwoven, it is time to crochet them together into strips.
An edging goes around the first square.
Then when you make the edging around each successive square, you join it as you go to the previous square.
Alternating each color motif, you end up with three separate strips that have edging around them.
Then you put join two strips together with an edging down the center, doing that twice until all three strips are joined.
A final edging around the whole piece and voila! It is done!