No, I’m not thinking about kitchen drains or bathroom toilets. I’m wondering why I continue taking clogging lessons each week, you know, the dancing that is all foot work? Sometimes called buck dancing or jigging? I just survived another class, barely survived.
Lessons began again three weeks ago. I’ve been going in early, catching the tail-end of the beginner’s class in hopes that the review would help, and it has to some extent. At least it helps me get my brain and feet warmed up so that when the next level class begins, I can keep up. Since I had to quit last September due to my knee, I fell behind the group that I took beginner classes with last year. They are all easily into the Intermediate level while I’m still struggling at the Easy level.
Today I felt encouraged because the first dance we did (after the Beginner class ended), I was able to keep up, do all the steps and feel somewhat proficient. And then it went downhill from there. Before the class time was over (the Intermediate class time), I had to wave the white flag and bow out partway through learning new steps for a new dance. The brain was fried and the feet no longer moved in synch with anything.
Of course, the fact that my thyroid medicine dosage has just been changed but not yet fully taken effect did not help. Even before I went to class my body ached in every joint and my brain was fuzzy. If I didn’t know better, I’d think I was coming down with the flu. Hopefully the upped dosage will kick in before the weekend, as we’re planning a weekend full of square dancing!
I keep waiting for clogging to become fun. In the year that I’ve been taking lessons, I can think of about four or five instances where I caught a brief glimpse of “fun.” The rest of the time it has been hard work and frustration. So why do I keep trying? Because I want to like it. I want it to be fun. I know it should be fun. It could be fun. It just isn’t yet.
January is two-thirds done now, so it seems like a good time to do a goals reality check.
1. Financial area – Quicken has not been updated. In fact, I’ve just begun getting things arranged for the New Year, spreadsheets created new for 2011, etc. I tackled my desk (again!) yesterday and that is the plan for this afternoon, to finish clearing my desk. We had the opportunity last week to rent our property in Alabama and so I spent several days making those arrangements and getting documents in the mail.
2. Personal goals – I have (mostly) replaced playing online Solitaire with putting together a puzzle! I can’t say that I have not played any games of solitaire, but my time has certainly been reduced drastically. Now, if I have five or ten minutes to kill, I go work on the puzzle instead.
3. Personal goals – My guitar practicing has not been quite as successful, although there has been progress there too. I have remembered to practice 12 out of the last 24 days, but most of that was in the first half of that time period. One day missed and then I forgot for several days. But even with that amount of time, my fingers are getting more limber and my finger drills are going better. I think I am about ready to move along to the next section of the DVD Lessons, chords!
4. Personal goals – I have not “put myself out there more”, not yet, anyway. I did start back up with my clogging lessons last week! I was not as far behind as I thought and I remembered most everything. Bill & I did try to go square dancing to a new club on Tuesday’s the first week of January, but we didn’t have the proper directions and never found the place. And the last two weeks haven’t worked out. I am going to stop in at the Library tomorrow and see about any book clubs.
5. Personal goals – Calling my siblings. I called my sister Wendy last weekend for her birthday! One down, three more to go and only 12 days left in the month!
6. Blogs – I am doing great with my personal blog, especially since I joined the 365 Mommytography Project and have to post a picture each day. Actually, that is probably contributing to my getting less done in other areas. I am having too much fun taking, editing and posting pictures! But I have done a few posts to my Leaping blog. I am still debating whether to continue my Racing blog or not. I don’t seem to be able to generate a continuing interest in writing about racing. My domain renews in March, so I will have to decide by then whether to continue it or not.
7. Website – I definitely need to be working harder in this area. No, I want to be working harder in this area! I forget that I am working on changing my thinking from “should do” and “need to do” to “want to” in order to change my procrastination tendencies. So, I want to be working on my website. And I do!